Sturgeon Stone & Landscape - The only difference between stumbling blocks and stepping stones is how you use them
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Recent Posts

More about stumbling blocks ...
Love this!
I wonder ...
A Stumbling Block or a Stepping Stone
ORNAMENTAL PONDS: Crystal Clear Water

Categories

Ornamental Ponds
Poems
quotes
Retaining Wall Basics
powered by

Retaining Wall Basics

Retaining Wall Basics

Like you, I'm ready for the return of Spring weather and spending some time outdoors.  One of my favorite projects for this time of year, is designing and building retaining walls.  If you're planning to upgrade your surroundings, make sure that the contractor you choose provides you with a durable wall that will last a lifetime.

Over the years when I've been called in to repair and/or reconstruct an existing wall, I find one of two problems exist ... either 1) a shallow footer; or 2) backfill using dirt only without stone drainage(sometimes both!).  Because dry dirt takes up less room than wet dirt, each time it rains or you water the planting bed within the area, the dirt will expand as it absorbs the moisture which puts hydraulic force on the wall.  As it dries, it shrinks and takes the pressure away.  This process repeats over and over and after just a few years the wall will bulge, crack, and eventually fail completely.

Keep these practices in mind when choosing a quality-driven contractor:

• The concrete footer is critical to the durability of the wall (recommend at least 32" deep, 8" wide with a concrete mix of 3,000 psi).

• On the back side of the retaining wall, make sure that a 4" perforation pipe is included for drainage with backfill comprised of #2 stone and a soil separator incorporated between the stone and top soil.

Not only are retaining walls functional, they are pleasing to the eye and can improve curb appeal and the resale value of your home.  By keeping these tips in mind, you will be able to bypass contractors with limited knowledge and questionable work practices and find the contractor worthy of your trust.

27 Comments to Retaining Wall Basics:

Comments RSS
Timur Sener on Thursday, March 27, 2014 4:26 AM
Rich in content, specific, every point is very good, is to this article, thank you. By the way, could you see our goods, you will like it.

Mike Sturgeon on Sunday, March 30, 2014 5:06 PM
Timur - Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on our blog about retaining walls. We'll check out your line of products and let you know what we think. Thanks again, Mike

retaining wall Brisbane on Monday, July 14, 2014 6:46 AM
Wow,this is really a nice post and you share such an awesome information about the retaining walls basics. i like your post and say thanks for the work which you have to do.

Jade Brunet on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:45 PM
Thank you for sharing your experiences concerning retaining walls. It is good to know that there are two problems that seem to resurface including shallow footers. When dealing with these situations, I think it is best to reach out for professional help to ensure that the issues are resolved properly.

John Ferrell on Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:40 PM
I like the suggestion to hire a contractor that provides a durable wall. If I was going to get a retaining wall then I wouldn't want it to move. I think that if your wall moves then you are going to need to get it replaced, and that might be a lot of money.

superiorpaper review on Monday, January 23, 2017 2:13 AM
This site has been sharing and giving us wonderful tips and concepts here after reading this sturgeonlandscape blog. Mainly it has been sharing and better tips about retaining wall basics.

Annika Larson on Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:54 PM
My husband and I are looking to add to our landscape. Specifically, we are looking to have a retaining wall put in. We want to make sure we find the right contractor to help us. Like you said, it's important to know the practices to ensure a durable wall that will last a lifetime.

replica rolex on Friday, August 04, 2017 5:13 AM

Star lord Jacket - moviesjacket on Friday, August 10, 2018 3:54 AM
I realize it is only now writing a blog is extremely helpful for me as well as for my work. I would like to say thanks to much to you. Very interesting looking post and I must appraise your efforts to write this post.

Video Game Leather Jackets on Friday, August 10, 2018 7:12 AM
Awesome post! Really enjoyed this post. But I want more information on such a valuable topic.

Take My Quiz on Monday, August 20, 2018 6:08 AM
I Loved The Way You Discuss The Topic Great Work Thanks For The Share.

Coursework Assignment Help Assistance on Monday, August 20, 2018 7:24 AM
Science Channel’s Are Giving A Complete Knowledge To Its Viewers About Every Thing Students Write Done Dissertation On This Subjects And Show Its Importance.

buy real soundcloud plays on Monday, September 03, 2018 4:44 PM
Thanks for taking the time to discuss that, I feel strongly about this and so really like getting to know more on this kind of field.

Best Epilator for face on Wednesday, September 05, 2018 1:05 AM
That is the very great post.

Best Android Productivity Apps on Thursday, September 06, 2018 6:31 AM
Taller walls may require more than one drain pipe to sufficiently relieve the hydrostatic pressure. ... The grading behind a retaining wall also has an effect on the buildup of water. The soil behind a retaining wall typically slopes toward the wall.

loegmrntdherid1 on Friday, October 19, 2018 2:41 AM
I will be your frequent visitor, that's for sure.

dasara on Thursday, November 15, 2018 1:05 AM
I like the suggestion to hire a contractor that provides a durable wall. free funny games apps

Amrita Spa on Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:29 AM
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with me. https://www.lispa.in/

Riva on Friday, December 07, 2018 3:03 AM
That's reall an amazing post. Thanks for letting us know about it. barbie games play online for free

Barsa Patel on Monday, December 10, 2018 3:23 AM
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience with me. nuru massage in malviya nagar

Ashok Walia on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:32 AM